As technology for solar collection improves and more options become available, so does our ability to integrate those solar collectors into a building. They are then referred to as a Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) and Thermal Electric Roofing Systems (BITERS). The most popular way to do this is to replace traditional roof shingles with a solar energy producing shingles. How do they stack up?
Solar Shingles vs Solar Panels
- Solar Shingles or roofing systems are integrated into the roof and are therefore more visually integrated with the building than Solar Panels which are mounted on a roof or ground.
- Solar roofing systems may be more easily approved to use when a building is in a historic district and needs to comply with Historical Commission zoning restrictions.
- Solar Shingles will protect the roof from weather like regular roof shingles.
- Photovoltaic roof shingles are not suitable for every roof. They can only be used in roofs which are facing the sun and have a particular angle. Solar Panels on the other hand are more flexible.
- Solar Shingles and roofing systems cannot be easily moved to another roof. Solar Panels can be moved.
- Solar Shingles and roofing systems are more expensive to buy and install than Solar Panels.
Clean Energy Design will help you make the best choices for your unique situation, location and budget. We then design the right system to integrate with your current energy systems. We will take care of approvals, rebates and incentives (of which there are many!) as part of our turn-key service.
At present, Clean Energy Design chooses to distribute and intall photovoltaic roof shingles (BIPVs) and Building Integrated Thermal Electric Roofing System (BITERS) from the premier manufacturer, Atlantis Energy Systems:
- Atlantis Energy Systems, founded in 2002, is known for it’s custom solar BIPV and BITERS Systems. They produces solar BIPV glass and solar PV SunSlate and TallSlate Roof Tiles right in Poughkeepsie NY! More on SunSlates, TallSlates and Biters (SunSlates with thermal components) at AtlantisEnergy.com. The first time we used their roof tile product was in 2006 on a URI building with great success.
BITERS “Building Integrated Thermal Electric Roofing System” Photovoltaic Sunslate and Thermal Hybrid system is aesthetically identical to Sunslates system only they have thermal components concealed under the slates! Now you can have an esthetically seamless solar installation which will give you both the advantages of solar hot water and heat along with solar electric power all from a combined solar shingle.
Clean Energy Design will help you make the proper choices from the various solar energy technologies and options available depending on your building conditions, orientation, location, and budget. We then design the perfect system to integrate with your current energy systems. We will take care of approvals, rebates and incentives (of which there are many!) as part of our turn-key service.